|The Shadows by J.R. Ward|
Author: J.R. Ward
Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group
Publication Date: March 31, 2014
1. J.R. Ward is a New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author of erotic paranormal romance.
2. She lives in the south with her incredibly supportive husband and her beloved golden retriever.
3. After graduating from law school, she began working in healthcare in Boston and spent many years as Chief of Staff of one of the premier academic medical centers in the nation.
4. Writing has always been her passion and her idea of heaven is a whole day of nothing but her computer, her dog and her coffee pot.
5. Not many people who are addicted to J.R. Ward’s BDB series knows that she also writes contemporary romance as Jessica Bird.
6. I was eight years old when I wrote my first story, ten when I finished my first book and thirteen when I fell in love with stories about people falling in love.
7. I can remember the first romance novel I ever read and am able to picture exactly where I sat while turning the pages. It was in a walled garden surrounded by blooming pastel roses on a perfect summer day. I have to say the bucolic scene was a poetic compliment to the genre but it was totally unnecessary. I was hooked and have been ever since.
8. What fascinates me about love stories is the drama that surrounds people when they lose their hearts to someone else. I’ve never seen a romance in real life that ran smoothly in the beginning because with great love comes great vulnerability.
9. The question always in my mind is, when two people get rattled like that, how do the pieces come back together? How are they united in spite of the forces, internal and external, which threaten to tear them apart?
10. I could continue to ply my hours in lawyerly pursuits but I’d rather reach out to people who likewise have a passion for romance. The pastel roses were a great backdrop on that summer day long ago but I didn’t need them.
11. What I needed was an author who could spin a tale out of the ether and let me live a little in the divine drama of two people falling in love.
12. So maybe I am a heartless lawyer. When I’m in my black suit and up to my elbows in corporate work, my heart’s not in it.
13. Give me a key board and a ream of blank paper, though, and I’ll show you a woman of passion!
The only purebred vampire left on the planet, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But when one of his most trusted fighters is killed—orphaning a half-breed daughter unaware of her heritage or her fate—Wrath must usher the beautiful female into the world of the undead….
Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He’s the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover—for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Owned by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.
A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion and terror his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful female from the evil Lessening Society.
In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there’s a deadly war raging between vampires and their slayers. And there exists a secret band of brothers like no other—six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. And now, a dutiful twin must choose between two lives…
Fiercely loyal to the Black Dagger Brotherhood, Phury has sacrificed himself for the good of the race, becoming the male responsible for keeping the Brotherhood’s bloodlines alive. As Primale of the Chosen, he is to father the sons and daughters who will ensure that the traditions of the race survive and that there are warriors to fight those who want all vampires extinguished. As his first mate, the Chosen Cormia wants to win not only his body but his heart for herself- she sees the emotionally scarred male behind all his noble responsibility. But while the war with the Lessening Society grows more grim, and tragedy looms over the Brotherhood’s mansion, Phury must decide between duty and love.